Saturday 22 March 2014

IMPORTANT NOTICE - Please Read

Hi, everyone!

As you may or may not have noticed, we are really behind on the CaC2 Summary. And when I say ‘behind,’ I mean that I haven’t even added the Battle of Cloud City yet. So that’s several hundred pages waiting to be reread and summarized. I can’t do this on my own.

So now I’ve got a few questions: How important is the Summary? Is it worth keeping?

When I first wrote the Summary, it was to help new players understand the plot. Now that the document is pushing ten thousand words, I don’t think it will help them very much. In fact, it might even repel new players. A ten-thousand word summary full of Star Wars jargon is pretty overwhelming.
However, the Summary serves a second purpose. It helps old players catch up after an absence. It clarifies any disputes over location, who-killed-who, where X character was last seen, etcetera. My counterpoint would be that we can clarify these misunderstandings through a simple message over Gmail or in parentheses chat. Also, how many of you use the Summary in the first place?
There are reasons to keep the Summary around, don’t get me wrong. Maybe new members can read the last few Episodes instead of the whole thing? Plus it’s convenient, and saves us from confusing Gmail discussions. There are also benefits to having an official sequence of events--it might save us from confusion in the future.
So how important is the Summary? Do you guys want to keep it around? Discuss it amongst yourselves. Shoot me a few emails. I think most of you know my Gmail address--if not, contact me over the Underground.

If we decide that the Summary is an important part of the battle, then we can find a way to share the load of writing it. I’m thinking either about week-long shifts or a Google Docs situation.

If we decide that the Summary is irrelevant, then there will be no more updates and Dmitri may take it down from the blog if he so wishes.

So what do you guys think?

Lylyss Silvertree

Blog Editor

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I didn't even know there was a Google Doc of the Summary. If there is, I think we should keep it just to have it around, whether or not people use it much (that's just the way I think x) but it might clutter up the blog, so what if we just had the most recent summary on the blog, but kept it all on the Doc?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no Doc yet, but if you guys like Nightblade's idea, I can figure out how to make one. :)

    You've got a good point about cluttering up the blog. Maybe we could merge the Summary page with the resource page somehow? Or at least provide a link to the Doc, if we decide to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we should keep the Summary, if possible. Nightblade's idea sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete

CaC2er? Comment, by all means!
Elf of the Underground? Welcome, and we hope you join CaC2!
Viewer? You're welcome to comment, as long as it's relevant.